Skip to content
The content on this page has yet to be rewritten for GOV.WALES. It is still correct and up-to-date.

County Parish Holding (CPH) and livestock movements

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on Keeping farmed animals at

Related Links

Step by step instructions on how to use Manage my CPH.
Find out what your Farm Liaison team can do for you and how you can contact them.
if you've seen a term you don't understand, please check here for an explanation.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.

The CPH (County Parish Holding) is a key control mechanism which underpins the identification of farmed livestock (cattle, sheep, goats and pigs).

The CPH identifier is the base on which livestock movement reporting regimes in Wales provide a system capable of tracing livestock movements between different locations to meet the requirements of the European Regulations.

As part of the CPH project, the Welsh Government is:

  • Removing all Sole Occupancy Authorities (SOAs) and Interim Land Association Management (ILAM) arrangements; 
  • Introducing a new 10 mile distance rule for all livestock species;
  • Introducing a new process for registering Temporary Land Associations (TLA) and temporary CPH (tCPH);
  • Introducing a new online system (Manage My CPH) to enable keepers to request a new CPH, or to amend the land included within a CPH.

This will allow livestock keepers to improve the efficiency of their business by providing the opportunity to control all land parcels under their management within 10 miles of the main holding; and to do this under one CPH reference. The Welsh Government is also capturing details of all the land used for livestock purposes in Wales, whether it is used on a permanent or temporary basis.

The changes are being rolled out strategically over a 2 year period, and Rural Payments Wales (RPW) is initially targeting keepers with SOAs and ILAMs. Those livestock keepers are being contacted directly by Rural Payments Wales (RPW) with details on what the changes mean, and the action that needs to be taken.  

Livestock keepers do not need to do anything until they are contacted by RPW.  
Until RPW have completed the transition of a holding, keepers will continue to be subject to the current movement reporting requirements.

Consultation: Holding identifiers and associated livestock movements.

Manage My CPH online

The Welsh Government has developed an online system (Manage My CPH) to enable customers to record all the land used for livestock purposes. The online service was made available on RPW Online from February 2018.

Manage My CPH enables customers to view the geographic extent of their holding and to electronically notify RPW of:

  • a new CPH request;
  • amendments to land included within a CPH;
  • inclusion of temporary land in a CPH via a Temporary Land Association (TLA) for land within 10 miles;
  • a request to close a CPH.
Rural Payments Wales Customer Contact Centre can be contacted using your RPW Online account or on 0300 062 5004.

Land used on a temporary basis 

Keepers taking on land on a temporary basis will have the following movement reporting options:

  1. report the movements to the landowner’s CPH (with the landowner’s permission), or 
  2. alternatively register the land with Rural Payments Wales (RPW) as either:
  1. Temporary Land Association (TLA) (for land within 10 miles)
  2. Temporary CPH (tCPH). 

In order to register the land with either a TLA or a tCPH, keepers will need to declare that they will have sole occupancy of the land (see criteria below), e.g. that their animals will not mix with another keeper’s livestock, and will need to provide a start and end date for the tenure. 

Rural Payments Wales Customer Contact Centre can be contacted on 0300 062 5004.

Location of land


Reporting Requirements

Temporary Land

<10 miles


Movement reporting / Standstill / PrMT not required for movements within CPH number.

Temporary Land

>10 miles


Record all movements, observe standstill, PrMT required.

Sole occupancy criteria

In order to be considered to have sole occupancy, the following criteria must be met:

  • Premises owned or rented by an individual, partnership or company on which all the animals are under the sole control of the individual / partnership / company.
  • Individual fields or buildings that are owned must be under the sole management of the individual / partnership / company.
  • Individual fields or buildings that are rented must be under the sole management of the individual / partnership / company for the duration of the tenancy.
  • Fields or buildings (owned or rented) which are used by separate individuals, partnerships or companies, are considered to be under separate sole occupancies even if the individual fields, etc. were part of the same original CPH number.
  • Where another individual has a right of access through land owned or rented by the individual / partnership / company it cannot be accepted as sole occupancy unless the right of access will not be used at any time to move animals on foot.
  • Individual fields or buildings (owned or rented) must have:
    • Separate access points to other fields or buildings not in the same sole occupancy.
    • A stock-proof boundary e.g. fence/ hedge/ wall, appropriate to the animals on that land, to keep animals under different sole occupancies separated.
    • Livestock cannot mix freely with other livestock from another CPH.