Skip to content
The content on this page has yet to be rewritten for GOV.WALES. It is still correct and up-to-date.

Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on Assessing environmental impact in agriculture at

Related Links

Farming and countryside issues which affect your agricultural business.
Cross Compliance is a European Union (EU) requirement setting out standards that farmers have to meet in order to receive CAP payments.
Woodlands and trees make a big difference not just to our lives but potentially to those of future generations too.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.
Farm land

The EIA Regulations are designed to allow routine agricultural operations whilst protecting land with special environmental, historic or cultural importance.

The Environmental Impact Assessment (Agriculture) (Wales) Regulations 2017 (external link) apply to all semi-natural areas in Wales. This excludes forestry and woodlands which have their own regulations.

You will need to consult us before you carry out:

  • agricultural improvements on semi-natural areas
  • projects involving restructuring of rural land holdings on any agricultural land type.

Under the Regulations it is illegal to proceed with projects without obtaining a screening decision. Failure to do so may lead to:

  • a Cross Compliance penalty in your Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)
  • a requirement to stop any projects for improving the affected land
  • a requirement to reinstate the land to its previous condition
  • prosecution.

The EIA Unit only deals with agricultural projects. You should contact Natural Resources Wales (external link) or your local authority about Forestry and Planning issues.

We will be happy to discuss the EIA regulations or any agricultural projects you are planning. You can contact us via the Rural Payments Wales (RPW) Customer Contact Centre:

Tel: 0300 062 5004


Opening hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30-17:00

You can also contact the EIA Unit directly at