Skip to content
The content on this page has yet to be rewritten for GOV.WALES. It is still correct and up-to-date.

Common land appeals

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on Common land at

Related Links

Most commons rights are attached to farms or premises, so the current owners or tenants can use the rights of common belonging to that property.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.
All the guidance and information you need for a common land request.

Registers of common land are held by the Commons Registration Authorities, usually the borough, county borough or county council.

The Planning Inspectorate deals with applications under sections 16 and 38 of the 2006 Commons Act, and several other pieces of legislation regarding commons and greens, on behalf of the Welsh Ministers.

Enforcement against unlawful works on common land

Guidance about enforcement against unlawful works on common land is currently under review, and will be made available as soon as possible.

Any queries about this guidance should be made to the Welsh Government’s Agriculture and Rural Affairs Division, by phoning 0300 0603300 or by email  to