Skip to content
The content on this page has yet to be rewritten for GOV.WALES. It is still correct and up-to-date.

Sites of special scientific interest appeals

Related Links

Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.
All the guidance and information you need to make or take part in a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) appeal.

Schedule 9 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (external link) gives the Countryside Council for Wales the power to issue consent notices and management notices in relation to land which is part of, or would affect a SSSI. If the land has been dedicated to the care of the Forestry Commission and is predominantly woodland, the Commissioners will deal with any applications.

Section 28F of the Act gives people who are unhappy with the Council's decision a right of appeal to The National Assembly. The Act is available at larger public libraries.

In the event that such notices are issued, an appeal may be made by sending an official appeal form to the National Assembly. The Planning Inspectorate will appoint an Inspector to act on behalf of the National Assembly, who will then produce a report detailing his conclusion on the issues raised and a recommendation as to whether or not the appeal should be allowed.