Skip to content
The content on this page has yet to be rewritten for GOV.WALES. It is still correct and up-to-date.

Planning Question & Answers

These frequently asked questions will try to clearly explain planning applications, planning decisions, when and how the Minister can intervene, conduct, complaints and enforcement.

The questions in the pages below cover the following areas:

  • Child minding and the Planning System
  • Householder Permitted Development Rights
  • Applications for Non-Material Amendments to an existing permission (NMA applications)
  • Making planning applications
  • Ministerial intervention - Call in and departure
  • Enforcement
  • Decisions
  • Conduct and complaints
  • The Standard Application Form (‘1APP’)

Child minding and the Planning System - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about how town and country planning applies to child care, including carrying out a child minding business from home.

Householder Permitted Development Rights Frequently Asked Questions

Responses to technical questions about changes to Householder Permitted Development Rights that came into force on 30 September 2013.

Applications for Non-Material Amendments to an existing permission (NMA applications)

Two frequently asked questions about non-material amendment applications.

Making planning applications

Frequently asked questions about planning permission, development plans, objecting to planning permission and environmental impact assessment.

Ministerial Intervention - Call In and Notification Development

Six frequently asked questions about how and when the Minister can intervene in planning matters in Wales.


Three frequently asked questions about enforcing the planning system in Wales.


Four frequently asked questions about planning decisions and appeals.

Conduct and Complaints

Seven frequently asked questions about the conduct of Local Planning Authorities and how to complain about planning matters.

The Standard Application Form (‘1APP’)

Why and when the 1app form is needed and how to get more information.