Skip to content
The content on this page has yet to be rewritten for GOV.WALES. It is still correct and up-to-date.

Concessionary travel

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on public transport at

If you live in Wales and are aged 60 or over or disabled you may be entitled to free travel within Wales.

Bus passes

Welsh concessionary bus passes are for those who live in Wales and meet one of these criteria:

  • are aged 60 or over
  • disabled – see the categories below 
  • injured service personnel or injured service veterans and receive an award under tariffs 1-8 of the War Veterans Compensation Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

The pass can be used at any time of day. A disabled person may request one companion pass for when they require assistance to travel.

Applying for a pass

The scheme is run by local authorities. Contact your local authority for information about free bus travel and how to apply for a pass.

You will need to provide evidence to your local authority to confirm that you are eligible. Your local authority will issue you with a bus pass (Smartcard) if you are eligible.

Categories of disabled persons

You may qualify for the pass at any age if you come under any of the following categories, to the required level:
  • have sight loss
  • are deaf
  • cannot speak
  • have an impairment with a substantial and long term adverse affect on ability to walk
  • are without arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a cognitive impairment
  • would be refused a driving license due to a condition other than persistent substance misuse
  • have a cardiac, locomotor, renal or neurological condition
  • receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment 
  • receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance.

To find out whether or not you may be eligible you should contact your local authority. You can find out how they determine eligibility by reading the guidance on eligibility on the ‘Guidance to local authorities’ page.

Rail travel

Where bus services are limited, concessionary travel passes can be used on certain train lines. This is open to all free concessionary travel pass holders in Wales when travelling on these lines. The scheme is currently funded until 31 March 2018.

The lines covered by the scheme are:

  • the Borderlands Line between Wrexham Central and Hawarden Bridge
  • the Conwy Valley Line from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog
  • the Cambrian Coast Line between Pwllheli and Machynlleth
  • the Heart of Wales Line between Swansea and Knighton.

The scheme operates year round on the Borderlands and Conwy Valley Lines and between October and March on the Heart of Wales and Cambrian Coast Lines.

Further details can be found on Arriva Train Wales (external link).